Let’s face it. Unplugging 100% on a beach vacay is just not going to happen. As social animals, it’s only natural that we want to grab pics and videos from the delicious sun ‘n surf and share them with those we love. However, the whole point of taking a vacation is just that: to vacate the places we inhabit every day – work and home – and deposit ourselves in different, relaxing environments to refresh body and soul. The best place to hit? The beach, of course, enjoying an all-awesome, all-inclusive vacation package. Here are a few ways to get your digital detox vacation on and temper your craving for being connected with being in the moment.
1. Replace Googling with Ogling. When you’re on the beach, there are endless amounts of natural, breathtaking beauty you can discover. Inspect and search the nuances of sunsets, sunrises, mountains, surf, sand, flora, fauna. The list goes on. Fill your eyes with these creations from Mother Nature and then if you must, snap some pics, but perhaps only after you’ve breathed it all in. When you go on a digital detox vacation, your body and soul will thank you.
2. Get into Seashell Media. Instead of posting every second about what you’re doing, spend an afternoon collecting sea shells. While some places might not let you bring them back, just the simple act of gathering and observing these small (and sometimes large) masterpieces of nature is soothing and fun. You can take a group shot and put it on Facebook. Or choose not to do that at all, lean into your digital detox vacation and live in the moment.
3. Substitute Status Updating with Simply Living. Take a long walk on the beach. Close your eyes and soak in the sun. Feel the cool water around your ankles. If you’re busy on Instagram, chances are you’re missing the simple pleasures around you that motivated you to pack up and take a vacation in the first place.
4. Ditch PowerPoint for the Horizon Point. When you’re at the beach, the water is so blue that you sometimes can’t see where the water meets the horizon. Try to find it, then meditate on this point. When you’re good and ready, you might snap a photo of this glorious, seemingly unnatural teal water, (so when you’re having a hectic day at the office, you can gaze at it for some relief). Then, turn off your phone, descend back into your digital detox vacation, cast your cares to the ocean breezes. And chill.
5. Put Your Napkin in Your Lap – Not Your Phone. Try this just once: leave your phone in the room while you’re enjoying a meal. Focus on the person you’re with. Enjoy his or her presence. Be in the moment. However, if you didn’t come with someone, what better way to meet someone new? You’re more approachable. With or without a dining companion, you’ll fully enjoy the taste sensations of your meal, which will enhance the whole rejuvenation thing you came to the beach for.
If you’re longing to unplug and dive into a digital detox vacation, there’s no better thing to do than grab one of our vacation packages to the Caribbean or Mexico. Just call 1-800-915-3162 and one of our Beachologists will set you up with a dream escape of a life time. Or you can browse all our all-inclusive vacation packages and customize a getaway on your own. No matter which beach you choose, when you unplug and take a beach vacation, it’s pure, unabashed Eden. Don’t miss this.