We get it. Traveling anywhere for the first time can be a little hectic, but it doesn’t have to be! We’ve put together a list of our top Akumal and Tulum tips to ensure you have a fabulous time while enjoying a beautiful area of Mexico!
- Unlike the much larger, neighboring city, Cancun, this small area has fewer options that take credit card. Make sure you have cash before you even leave home to avoid the headache or trying to find an ATM or worse, not being able to eat or drink at one of our favorite Foodie Spots in Akumal and Tulum.
- The Tulum and Akumal area is a little over an hour and a half drive from the airport in Cancun. We recommend booking a transfer (shuttle) to and from the airport to your hotel or resort when you book your accommodations. The drive may seem long, but Tulum and Akumal are worth the wait.
- Just a little bug spray goes a long way. Since this area is more lush than Cancun and Riviera Maya, you may encounter more bugs, depending on the time of year. Stick a bottle of natural bug spray in your bag and you’ll be good to go.
- Grab a bike and get ready to explore the town! Many of the beautiful resorts in the area, like Oasis Tulum Lite Resort, offer complimentary bikes for you to explore the area. Just about everything in Akumal and Tulum are accessible by bike and there’s even bike-friendly trails.
- Expect it to be humid and sunny. Grab a bottle (or three) of coral-safe sunscreen. Don’t forget, people and animals live there year-round… Don’t mess up the ecosystems while you’re on vacation.
Hopefully our Akumal and Tulum tips have you feeling at ease about traveling to these beachy destinations. Want to see some of our favorite Instagram-worthy spots and eco-friendly adventures? Check out more of our Deep Dive on Akumal and Tulum!