1. Puerto Rico – Pina Colada. Invented in 1963 in Old San Juan bar and Barrachina restaurant, the Pina colada is not only the national drink of Puerto Rico, it also goes down quite smooth while watching the waves roll in. But here’s how you can whip up one of these luscious beach drinks yourself. Ingredients: 1 ½ cup ice. ½ cup diced pineapple, frozen. 2 oz. pineapple juice. 2 oz. Coco Lopez coconut cream. 1 ½ oz. white rum. 1 oz. dark rum and garnish with pineapple slices. Blend until smooth. Cheers.
2. Mexico – Margarita. Named after the daughter of a German ambassador who was visiting Mexico, the margarita is a reigning classic among beach drinks. Jamie Oliver’s got a recipe you can’t beat: 1 part Cazadores tequila, ½ part triple sec liqueur, 1 whole lime and cubed ice. Chill the glass, pour ingredients in a shaker, shake, run lime wedge around the rim then roll it in sea salt. Voila.
3. Bahamas – Bahama Mama. Created in the 1950s by composer Charles Lightfoot in honor of the nation’s celebrated calypso songstress, Maureen Duvalier, this one of those tasty beach drinks that will make all things right when chillaxing in the sand. The ingredients are ½ oz. light rum, ½ oz. gold rum, ½ oz. dark rum, ½ oz. coconut liqueur, 1 oz. orange juice, and 1 oz. pineapple juice. Shake well and serve over ice. This’ll put a smile on your face.
4. Antigua – Spiked Coconut Water. A recent creation based on the crazy popularity of coconut water and beloved in Antigua, this healthy libation is fabulous on any island. So the history? Make some yourself when you mix it up. Here’s a good, simple recipe: 1 shot coconut rum, 2 shots coconut water, 2 tsp. lime juice, ¼ crushed ice. Garnish with a lime wedge, if you like. Bottoms up.
5. Dominican Republic – Mama Juana. Originally prepared as an herbal tea by the Taino Indians, this provocative drink is said to not only pre-date rum, but also rumored to be an aphrodisiac when sea turtle naughty parts are added. It’s made by letting a mix of bark, herbs, rum, red wine and honey sit for a while. Order one of these beguiling beach drinks when in the Dominican Republic and report back with the results. We’ll keep it on the down low.
We know you’re thirsty. How can you not be? If so, pick up your phone right now and dial 1-800-915-3162 and speak to one of our sea-savvy Beachologists, who will create an all-awesome, all-inclusive vacation package to the Caribbean and Mexico. Or if you want to get the lay of the sand yourself, go to our site. Don’t wait. It’s time to drink in some beach.