Mamajuana, the famously sexy beverage, was born in the Dominican Republic. And it’s something you must try when you’re hanging in this island paradise. But here are some things you should know. Don’t say we didn’t warn you.
1. It’s most famously known as an aphrodisiac, so much so that local residents in the Dominican Republic call it the “Baby Maker,” and “El Para Pelo, which means “lift the stick!” Some recipes are said to include grated tortoise shells. (Is anyone surprised that it contains, er, pokeweed?)
2. Taino indians, the native people of Florida and the Caribbean, first enjoyed Mamajuana as an herbal tea. Guess it got boring so they added booze.
3. Mamajuana is rumored to help with the flu, digestion, circulation, blood cleanser, kidney and liver tonic. Use at your own risk.
4. Translated it means “Mother Jane,” which is not meant to be confused with (or used with) Mary Jane.
5. In the 1950s, Jesus Rodriguez wrote the song, “Mama Juana,” which Tatico Henriquez sang that was a hit on the Dominican merengue scene. Put on your party flip flops and hit the dance floor.
6. Sometimes, the aftertaste can be a bit strong, much like absinthe. Be ready with a chaser.
7. Mamajuana has been referred to as the Dominican version of moonshine. Yee-haw!Mamajuana is known as an aphrodisiac. Locals in the #Dominican Republic call it the Baby Maker. Click To Tweet
8. The name originally came from the French term, “Dame Jeanne,” (Lady Jane) that describes the large bottle with narrow neck you see Mamajuana in.
9. At one point in history, President Rafael Trujillo tried to arrest anyone who sold Mamajuana without a certified medical license. Glad this dude is gone.
10. Mamajuana is made with rum, red wine and honey and then it soaks in a bottle with tree bark and herbs – a bird’s nest, basically.
If heading to the dreamy Dominican Republic to throw down with some Mamajuana sounds like your thing, then you know who to call: our Beachologists. Just dial 1-800-915-3162 and one of our seaphisticated BhDs will custom design an all-inclusive vacation package to the Dominican Republic, or anywhere else in the Caribbean and Mexico that tickles your beach fancy. If you want to get a lay of the sand yourself, just check out all our aahsome vacation packages that are waiting for you. Don’t wait. Life is short. Time to beach.